Wednesday, May 14, 2008

euphemisms for discontent (too).

Here's my actual job and workplace:

  1. My deadlines are always due yesterday, even upon giving me the work assignments, which means I always have to move heaven and earth to meet the yesterday-deadlines.
  1. My bosses drive me crazy everyday. The first one has an extreme case of ACDC (uh, ADHD. Not the band, hehe). My other boss’ obsession is with meetings. Where we discuss the latest in fashion, movies, and of course, the classics – ranging from music to books and to whatever he can think of to keep the meeting going.

When I was new, I used to enjoy these conversations because, aside from keeping me from doing actual work, I get to have free history and literature classes. As I was getting older with the company and tasks and assignments are also getting heavier, these meetings became something that I struggle to escape everyday.

Not that I do not like my bosses, though. Besides these things and a million others, I believe they are alright bosses. And I would not have stayed this long if I could not stand working with them. There, point number two justified.

  1. Here, people are always calling me for information I do not have. Both people from here and those goddamn credit card people. I believe these are people I cannot easily get rid of, unless I decide to unplug my phone for a day. Which, of course, I will not do else I’ll be spending a considerable time everyday responding to emails from people who cannot reach me over the phone.
  1. We have a reliable messenger, though. Who takes care of my bills, my bank transfers, my breakfast, lunch, and occasional Cremil-s and Mefenamic Acid from the clinic. I have an officemate who is always willing to run to the nearest Watson’s to get me a feminine pad, regardless of how humiliating it will be for him. I have my constant movie buddy, dinner buddy, kainuman, the most reliable colleague I know, who I can confidently call anytime of the day to throw tantrums at, to grant my unreasonable demands, and to listen to my endless rants about my (former) dysfunctional lovelife. And no, he is not a love interest.
  1. My office has a sluggish internet connection. My yahoo messenger gets interrupted in the middle of important conversations (meaning: phone conferences discussing inuman the following night) and heated arguments (discussing the pros and cons of going to the US or anywhere out of the country for work and otherwise). These interruptions resulting to grave damage to my social life.
  1. In my workplace, our pantry is otherwise known as Starbucks. And sometimes, Delifrance.
  1. Financially, I can confidently say that I am not starving, though my lifestyle is still waay far from being comfortable.

This time, however, my great spending talent is not to blame. I simply want too much.

What am I doing writing all these things down? Actually, I am just reassessing myself and my decision to stay where I am right now. And I realized what I already know. That I do not have much. Am I happy? With all these annoyances? I definitely am.

Regardless of the non-air-conditioned apartment, my non-solo room, the more than occasional ipis and the now-becoming-constant cat shit on our doorstep, because my current job does not provide me much, I definitely am satisfied with the way things are. For now.

No comments: